- commerce com‧merce [ˈkɒmɜːs ǁ ˈkɑːmɜːrs] noun [uncountable] COMMERCE1. the buying and selling of goods and services; = TRADE:
• Modern computing facilities are very much in demand by industry and commerce.
• a guide to English for Commerceˌinternational ˈcommerce COMMERCEcommerce between companies or industries in different countries:
• The GATT trade agreement established a sound basis for international commerce.ˈInternet ˌcommerce also ˈNet ˌcommerce COMMERCE COMPUTINGbusiness done over the Internet; = E-COMMERCEˌinterstate ˈcommerce COMMERCEcommerce between companies in different states in the US:
• It's a violation of interstate commerce to prevent us from shipping this medication across state lines.ˌpassive ˈcommerce COMMERCE TRANSPORTcommerce in which goods being exported or imported by one country are transported by another country2. old-fashioned a school or university subject concerned with the principles and methods of business and how offices are run; = BUSINESS STUDIES:
• He was trying to finish a commerce degree at university.— see also e-commerce, m-commerce, t-commerce
* * *commerce UK US /ˈkɒmɜːs/ noun [U] COMMERCE► the activity of buying and selling products and services: »
Online commerce is expected to continue to increase.»
Financial and business terms. 2012.